Growing Carrots In The Garden Grid™
Carrots come in dozens of colors & sizes. They’re also able to tolerate a wide range of temperatures from freezing to warm, making them an ideal crop to grow during fall, spring, & winter.
Depending on your growing zone there are different times of the year when you can safely plant carrots seeds outdoors. The closer to winter that you decide to plant, the more attentive you will need to be for unexpected freezes if your carrots are still seedlings though. If you just missed your date range or want to plant further into the cold seasons, adding a greenhouse covering can help. Here’s a quick video on how to make a simple greenhouse covering for your garden. You can also find your growing zone here if you don’t know it yet.
Carrot Planting Date Ranges By Growing Zones
Zone 3: Early June to Mid-August
Zone 4: Late May to Early September
Zone 5: Mid-May to Mid-June | Late August to Late September
Zone 6: Early May to Late June | Early September to Mid-October
Zone 7: Early April to Late May | Mid-September to Late October
Zone 8: Late March to Mid-May | Late September to Mid-November
Zone 9: Late February to Early May | Mid-October to Early December
Zones 10 & 11: Late October to Late February
- Carrots are grown 12-16 plants per Garden Grid™ watering system square.
- Seeds only need to be planted 1/4″ deep & thrive in loose soil, making carrots ideal for raised garden beds.
- Carrots prefer mild to cold weather to mature (40 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit soil temp), but they can withstand prolonged frost as they approach maturity. You can keep your garden’s soil temperature warmer by keeping it moist & mulched. Here are some additional garden frost management tips to keep your plants growing through the cold.
- Watering – Seeds & seedlings, water daily until established (here are tips on that). Mature plants water often enough to keep the soil moist ~2″ below the surface.
- Carrots do best in moderate to full sun, so make sure they’re grown in an area that has 6+ hours of sun exposure per day.
- Harvest after 50-80 days.
Questions or Comments? Share below & we’ll answer!
Garden In Minutes® is all about making it easier for you to grow your best garden!
From our patented Garden Grid™ watering systems to our long-lasting Metal Raised Garden Beds; our gardening products are loved by tens of thousands of gardeners across the U.S.!
Tap below to explore our gardening solutions & let’s start your best garden in minutes!