Homemade, Fresh Garden Salsa Recipe
What do big events such as birthdays, bar mitzvahs and college game days have in common? You may be inclined to think family, friends and good times, but these are only minor similarities compared to the big one. These occasions all involve snacks! And, if you know anything about the Garden In Minutes team snacking preferences, the best snack by a mile is salsa!
Well…salsa AND something to scoop it with.
To prepare for a party, we typically head over to our respective supermarkets and purchase all the basics: burgers, hot dogs, buns, condiments, potato salad, chips, salsa, that wheel of vegetables with the ranch in the middle. Instead of feeding everyone something store-bought, why not feature a little appetizer from your own backyard? You obviously can’t grow hot dogs and hamburgers (…sigh), but you can make fresh garden salsa (using our recipe below) with the vegetables from your own raised garden!
In ten minutes, you’ll collect the necessary ingredients right from the plants in your garden. In another ten minutes, you will be putting the finishing touches on homemade garden salsa that will surely impress your guests, not to mention save you at least a couple bucks at the grocery store.
There are many varieties of salsa to choose from and endless ways to tweak current salsa recipes. Our fresh garden salsa recipe below will turn out right about in the middle of the heat spectrum – medium spiciness if you will. If you want to spice up your salsa more, or turn down the heat, simply vary the amount of Jalapeno peppers that you add to the salsa recipe.
Below we’ll quickly highlight:
- What you can grow to make fresh garden salsa.
- Ingredients you’ll need, but cant grow in a garden.
- How much of each ingredient you’ll need to make garden salsa.
- Prep time.
- Four simple steps to turn your ingredients into Fresh Garden Salsa!
What you can Grow:
- Peppers – Sweet
- Jalapeno Peppers
Not growing yet? Here’s our planting guide on How to Grow a Salsa Garden.
Pick up from the Grocer, or a Tree:
- Lime (for juice)
Additional Salsa Recipe Ingredients
- Salt and Pepper
Fresh Garden Salsa Ingredient Measurements:
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped sweet (green, red or yellow) pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup minced cilantro
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons of chopped jalapeno pepper
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- About 10 minutes
How to Make Fresh Garden Salsa – 4 Easy Steps:
- Rinse and clean off all picked vegetables.
- Dice and chop all vegetables as noted in the ingredients.
- Put everything except the tomatoes into a food processor to chop a little further.
- Then add the tomatoes and “pulse” until the mixture is the texture you like. Simple!
Serve with chips, fish, crackers etc and make sure to share the juicy deliciousness!
Are you a fresh garden salsa fan too? Share your favorite types, recipe additions, or plans for making your first batch below!